Defective Products – Product Liability
When a product injures or kills someone because of negligent design, negligent manufacturing or insufficient product warnings, the Pittsburgh-based law firm of MANSMANN & MOORE, offers the experience and resources to recover the money deserved for victims and survivors.
MANSMANN & MOORE represents clients throughout Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia and beyond. We have won millions in compensation against manufacturers, designers and sellers of defective products. See our VERDICTS & SETTLEMENTS.
Product Liability Law: Types of Defects
A product liability lawsuit plaintiff must prove that the product that caused the injury was defective and that the defect made the product unreasonably dangerous. Three types of defects are generally considered in product liability lawsuits:
- A design defect is an error or mistake in the design of a product that makes it unreasonably unsafe. Design defects are present in a product from the very beginning. A child's toy scooter may be prone to tip easily and may be an example of defective design because it is so likely to cause serious injury.
- A manufacturing defect is an unplanned defect that occurs due to an error during production. An example of a manufacturing defect would be a defective airbag that does not deploy during an accident.
- Marketing defects include mistakes in product labels, instructions without sufficient detail, failure to warn of a product's hidden dangers and failure to warn of dangers associated with predictable misuse. An example of a marketing defect might be a food product sold containing seafood without a label warning against ingesting seafood may be harmful or dangerous to some.
Defective Products Cause Injury and Death at Home, at Work and on the Road
Unsafe products and product defects can cause serious injury or death in many different environments:
- Auto defects include tire blowouts or malfunctioning seat belts or air bags
- Industrial machinery may lack safety guards or may malfunction
- Medical implants, such as hip replacements, pace makers and defibrillators can fail – Companies such as Medtronic have had numerous devices recalled by the FDA, including knee prosthesis, hip hardware, defibrillator recalls and spinal hardware recalled
- Scaffolding and construction equipment may be defective and cause serious injury or death if not installed and placed correctly
- Consumer products may have inherently dangerous design, improper instructions or inadequate warnings of hazards
- Baby – toddler devices: such as cribs, strollers, toys and even clothing may have inadequate warnings or a negligent design that put infants at risk
Money for Victims caused by Defective Products
MANSMANN & MOORE moves quickly in defective product cases to maximize the chance of a maximum monetary recovery for our clients' injury claims. We engage expert witnesses immediately: engineers, medical doctors, medical consultants, and nurses – anyone who has special expertise to help prove your claim. Our attorneys also utilize referral databases to check for similar defective product claims against the company and check with the Federal Consumer Agencies to determine if the product is tagged dangerous.
Contact us now if you or a family member has suffered a severe injury as the result of the negligent or wrongful behavior of others in creating a dangerous or unsafe product. The initial consultation is free, and we charge no fee unless we recover damages for you.
Local: (412) 232-0661
Toll Free: (866) 611-3536
Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia